Tuesday 21 April 2020

Blocked off landscapes and gunships over isleworth

During my year's of heavy drinking, I like many alcoholics spent most of my time outside.
Because the bedsit I was living in was filled with some fairly maladjusted people I preferred to sit and drink by the river and one of my favorite spots was by the river in Brentford, this was at least in part due to the illegally moored houseboats that lined the waterfront in Watermans Park. I got to know some of the people who lived on these boats and they, like me were existing on the fringes of mainstream society and like me frequently got harassed by the authorities. So there was a shared experience there.
Last January I returned to Watermans Park and the local authority had lined the whole waterfront with 8 foot Heras fencing, effectively closing the access to these boats. Many of them had been removed. But the image had a profound effect on me.


After moving into my new flat in December 2019 I noticed that military helicopters would land and takeoff rapidly on the sports ground of the Army school of music at Kneller House that sits directly behind my house. Usually these are Chinook transport helicopters but occasionally an armed AH 64   Attack Helicopter lands which is an odd discordant sight in suburban London, below are some photographs that I took with a view to making something of them in my studio practice.



 
A strange sight and the noise was tremendous 

No comments:

Post a Comment