Friday 1 May 2020

Landscapes that change over time.


Since 2010 I have been visiting my Aunt and Uncle every August with the exception of 2011 and almost certainly 2020 due to Covid 19.  My aunt and uncle live in the far north of the Netherlands, and because of the regular nature of visits I have been able to document the changing nature of one particular landscape. The photographs below were taken from the same place on foot bridge over a canal.
The image above was taken in 2010
This image was taken in 2018, and the short rotation wood on the left has been entirely removed and the wood on the right has been substantially denuded and although it is difficult to see a lock gate has been added at the end of the concrete track on the right.
This interests me because landscape is often spoken about in terms of its immutable qualities and actually it is very often dynamic.
Another example of this is a stretch of coast near Eastbourne that I painted last year. Called Birling Gap.
The two cottages seen here are all that's left of a terrace of eight that have over the past 50 years disappeared into the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment