Tuesday 26 May 2020

Covid19

Since the beginning of the UK lockdown I have been taking pictures and looking at some of the news, although I find the often stupid, short sighted and panicky reporting I see in the media unhelpful and often alarmist, although there are some very good pieces of analysis.
We are living through an important moment in history and so it is important to document and discuss it, A pandemic has been discussed as both real threat and a dystopian premise in science fiction since the late 1960s, TV and cinema have also shown a great interest, for example in 1975 we had the first version of Terry Nation's Survivors, that was remade in 2008. But visually I thought the opening walk through post infection London in the film 28 Days Later was much more effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdRFMp8Xwo
My own photographs were an attempt to capture that same feeling of unnatural emptiness in urban settings that intuitively one feels should have people and cars and movement.
The A316 at rush hour in April, usually a traffic jam at this time

Twickenham Town centre on 24th March at 6pm, again usually a mass of people leaving twickenham station and cars.

The newly opened drive through testing facility

Another shot of the Testing facility in the Car park at Twickenham Stadium

Finally a shot of the socially distanced street party my neighbours had for VE day.
I include this last picture to illustrate the amazing outpouring of kindness that has occurred in my area and certainly across the country during this Pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment